B Werk Bunker Complex in Besseringen

pictures

description

brief description: 

The B-Werk in Besseringen is a panzerwerk, a defence system, which was built between 1938 and 1940 by Hitler.

The system is the only not-destroyed part of the Siegfried Line, which was 630 km long. It had cost about 1,300,000 reichsmark.

relevant filming facts

opening times: 
on Sundays and Holidays from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm (April - September); group visits by appointment only; no guided tours on Saturdays
usage: 
tourism
condition: 
in part reconstructed and restored
interior architecture: 
while some of the rooms are still in their original condition, others have been reconstructed and outfitted with corresponding fixtures (overall, there are 23 rooms on the upper floor and 43 in the basement). The basement houses a permanent exhibition which documents the battlefields around the so-called Orscholzriegel and the losses in the civilian population. It also informs visitors about the persecution which took place and the resistance which was formed in the region. Like almost all bunkers of the West Wall (or the Siegfried Line as the Allies called it), the B Werk was completely looted after the war. First, by the victors looking to confiscate weapons, optics, telephone terminals, etc. Next, by the vanquished looking for food, and last, by the home builders and junk dealers looking for metal
layout: 
dimensions: 24,6 m x 17,8 m, 44 rooms on 2,5 floors, height between floors: 2,5 m, concrete volume: 2800 m³, cement: 1120 t, sand and gravel: 5400 t, construction steel: 200 t
ceiling height: 
2,5m
Space restrictions: 
to be discussed
Time restrictions : 
to be discussed

supply

parking lot: 
parking lot next to the B51 federal road in the direction of Besseringen (beside the overpass to the A8 motorway)

contact

Steffen Conrad
Karte: