Bunker 316

pictures

description

brief description: 

Bunker 316, at the foot of Saarbrücken's Halberg, is one of the last entirely preserved bunkers of the original Siegfried Line, a line of defensive military fortifications, also called the Westwall. The Regelbau bunker type 108b MG embrasure with MG casemate, flanking installation, and periscope was built 226 times. Of these fortifications, 161 were stationed in the Saarland. Bunker 316 was built in 1939 and occupied by 13 men (one officer, two corporals, and ten crew members). Water was obtained from a well system, 21 m deep, while provisions lasted for up to seven days, at a push

relevant filming facts

opening times: 
the operators host an open house several times a year (for further information, please go to http://bunker316.bu.funpic.de/index.html). On demand, the bunker can also be opened for visits
usage: 
bunker on the Siegfried Line (originally); museum and tourist attraction (today)
condition: 
good
layout: 
see ground plan at http://bunker316.bu.funpic.de/index.html
surroundings: 
The bunker is situated at the foot of Saarbrücken's Halberg (a hill at the edge of the forest), near An der Rot Schanz street and Stummstraße.
Lift/elevator: 
none
Space restrictions: 
to be discussed
Time restrictions : 
to be discussed

accessibility

car: 
follow the signposts indicating Bunker 316 from the B51 federal road (Globus Supermarket), from the A6 motorway (Fechingen and Mainzer Straße/Brebacher Landstraße exits)
train: 
the closest train station is Saarbrücken Ost

supply

sanitary facilities: 
none
parking lot: 
available on An der Rot Schanz street and on Stummstraße at the edge of the forest
electricity supply: 
available
water supply: 
available

contact

Steffen Conrad
Karte: