Chapel of Teutonic Knights "Deutschherrenkapelle" in Saarbrücken
The Gothic choir hall of the Deutschherrenkapelle ("Chapel of Teutonic Knights") is the oldest preserved building in Saarbrücken (completed around 1248). The colorful church window, destroyed in the eighteenth century, bore the coat of arms of the founders, so that it is concluded that the origin of the chapel traces back to the first half of the 13th century.
The church, the commandry of the Deutschherrenorden and the tithe barn are the only surviving buildings of the former order, which was built around the two courtyards. The Deutschherrenkapelle has an extraordinary ground plan. The square church nave suggests that the Deutschherrenorden used the church as a hospital.
It is assumed that the sickbeds were put into the church nave so that the sick could follow the worship service held in the chapel. In the Middle Ages, diseases were viewed as a test of faith by God. A patient sought nearness to God on his way of recovery and at the approaching death.