Göttelborn Coal Mine

pictures

description

brief description: 

when the Göttelborn coal mine was founded in 1887, 13 miners, supervised by an overman and a mine inspector, went to work. With the addition of a mine railway station, a steam boiler plant, a pithead building, a horse stable, a workshop, an inspection building, and officials´ dwellings, the image of the mine would change rapidly over the next seven years. By September 1900, the workforce had already increased to 1500 men. In the mid 1970s, the Göttelborn coal mine appeared in a whole different, modern light with a remodelled pithead building, a new bath in black & white, a new coffee-kitchen, a renovated mines rescue centre, and a new fire station. In 1987, only five day shafts with nine seams were still working. That year, a commemorative publication marked the 100-year existence of the Göttelborn coal mine. Under the heading Future Prospects you could read: Altogether, the future of coal does not look so bright anymore (...) good prospects are, however, being predicted for Göttelborn. It is considered to be the second most profitable coal mine in Europe with still enough mining reserves.

And so, visible from afar, the modern pithead (mine shaft IV, erected in 1997), Europe´s mightiest towers above the surrounding region like a memorial of hope. But coal mining history took a different turn. Not even collaborative efforts with the Reden coal mine could save Göttelborn from closing its gates. What will happen to the terrain, or rather, how can it be reanimated with new life? The IKS - Industriekultur Saar GmbH, a local association dedicated to preserving industrial culture, has been contemplating this same question since 2001. Within a 10-year period, the IKS wants to offer groundbreaking perspectives to modern and innovative enterprises at this future location. With work and residence in each other´s immediate proximity, Göttelborn will set new standards for an improved quality of life

relevant filming facts

usage: 
tourism
condition: 
partly restored
interior architecture: 
for the most part, the interior is in its original state
Background noise: 
quiet
Lift/elevator: 
available in the shaft tower of mine shaft IV
possible disturbing factors: 
possibly noise due to restoration works
Space restrictions: 
to be discussed
Time restrictions : 
to be discussed
Catering: 
can be made available in the staff canteen upon prior agreement with Ms. Haupenthal
premises: 
additional facilities for make-up, wardrobe, technical equipment, etc. can be made available upon prior agreement with Ms. Haupenthal
Filming experience: 
Saarländischer Rundfunk (German public broadcaster)

accessibility

car: 
coming from Saarbrücken, take the A1 motorway going in the direction of Köln, Koblenz, Trier. Take the Quierschied exit (144), following the direction Quierschied, Merchweiler, Göttelborn, and turn right onto Saarstraße. After approx. 1,5 km, you will reach a roundabout. Turn right onto Zum Schacht

supply

sanitary facilities: 
available
parking lot: 
sufficient spaces available
electricity supply: 
high voltage current available inside the buildings
water supply: 
available

contact

Steffen Conrad
Karte: