Fortified City of Saarlouis / Municipal Park
Saarlouis, named after Louis XIV of France, was built by French military engineer Vauban as a fortification on the banks of the river Saar in 1680. Later, parts of the fortress were slighted. At the present time, remains of the fortified walls are being excavated and restored on the grounds of today´s municipal park. The so-called Vauban Island is a small landmass (a former ravelin) embedded in an anabranch of the river Saar. The entire area surrounding the ancient fortress is covered with trees and laced with footpaths.