The castle ruin of the Hohenburg, also called castle Homburg or fortress Hohenburg, is located in Homburg in the Saarpfalz-Kreis in the Saarland. It stands on the 325m high Schlossberg above the Schlossberghöhlen.
In the 12th century, the Hohenburg was the seat of the Counts of Homburg. In 1330, they were given the city rights by Ludwig the Bavarians for their village at the foot of the Schlossberg. After the death of the last count of Homburg in 1449, the castle and town fell to the counts of Nassau-Saarbrücken. In the second half of the sixteenth century, the castle was converted into a Renaissance castle and then a fortress.
During the Reunion period, King Louis XIV sent his fortress builder, Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban, to extend the fortress and fortify the town. The basic structure of the Homburg old town dates from this time. The fortifications were first laid down in 1697 and finally in 1714, serving as a quarry for the construction of Karlsberg Castle. From 1981 the plant was released and partly restored.