Rischbachstollen exhibition mine



brief description: 

the Rischbach gallery is part of the former St. Ingbert mineral coal mine, which closed its gates in 1959. The section of the gallery which is open to the public today has, since the early 1990s, been filled with life by dedicated former miners, who are maintaining it as a civilian facility. On a length of approx. 800 m, the facility was opened to the public in 1994. Visitors are kitted out in appropriate miner´s gear before they descend underground. The accessible part of the gallery consists entirely of variegated sandstone

relevant filming facts

opening times: 
the exhibition mine is open all year round (Saturdays and Sundays included). Closed on Monday afternoons. Guided tours only with advance reservations. Please call 49 (0)6894 1690 490
very good
interior architecture: 
the gallery gives a very good impression of what a miner´s life was like when work was still done manually and coal wagons were still pulled by horses. Original tools of the time can be seen on display, including e.g. different kinds of pick axes, shovels, alarm bells, etc.
Background noise: 
very quiet
possible disturbing factors: 
Space restrictions: 
to be discussed
Time restrictions : 
to be discussed
the Rischbachstollen offers a made-to-order German coal miner´s breakfast (Bergmannsfrühstück) consisting of bread roll, Lyoner sausage, beer, and schnapps
can be made available, upon prior agreement, in the former colliery building


coming from Saarbrücken, get on the A620/A6 motorways in the direction of Mannheim. Take the St.Ingbert-West exit and follow the brown/white signposts indicating Besucherbergwerk Rischbachstollen


sanitary facilities: 
available in the former colliery building
parking lot: 
sufficient spaces available in front of the gallery
electricity supply: 
regular voltage and high voltage outlets are available in the former colliery building. No power connection available in the gallery itself
water supply: 


Steffen Conrad